Basic Information for Florence
Central Oregon Community College is one of seven community colleges belonging to the Oregon International Education Consortium (OIEC), which sponsors the Fall Quarter in Florence program. The OIEC accepts up to 30 students from the member colleges in Oregon. Space, therefore, is limited and qualified students are accepted as they apply and pay their deposit. Our partner institution, American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), makes all logistical arrangements, including travel, insurance and housing. All program payments are made to AIFS. The OIEC makes all academic arrangements, from course offerings to credits to faculty; in fact, you are taught by Oregon instructors who accompany you to Florence. All college tuition and fees are paid to COCC. You register as usual at COCC by first learning the specific CRN for each course from Jon Bouknight or Sara Henson since Florence courses are not listed together with the other Fall courses on campus.
OIEC's Florence program is currently on furlough.
- Open to students at least 18 years old who have earned at least 12 college credits with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Students pay COCC tuition for 12-14 credits (depending on courses).
- Program fee includes shared apartments, cultural events, day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, activities associated with the Italian Life and Culture course, internet access, unlimited-entry museum pass, medical and program fee refund insurance (optional meal plan of 25 restaurant vouchers available for $495).
- Financial aid can be applied to program (apply as soon as possible).
- All students must enroll in the 2-credit Italian Life and Culture course and in a 4-credit Italian language course--both taught by Italian faculty.
- Two other courses selected from Intercultural Communication, Gender Communication and Public Speaking. With sufficient enrollment approaching 20 students, an Art History class may also be included in the program. All courses are fully transferable to your Associate of Arts Degree.
- PRICE $7,595.00 (10-19 students or more) + COCC tuition + airfare, taxes and fees TBA