COCC Website and online systems to be down beginning Friday
In order to perform critical
upgrades and maintenance of online systems, all COCC online systems will be
shut down from Friday, Sept. 4 through Monday, Sept. 7
. The College is closed
during that time for the extended Labor Day weekend.
Media, Communication, and Society
- Students will define the term "media," and construct a chronology of some of the technical innovations of media from handwriting to digital communication forms.
- Using key points in the history of media, students will explain the impact of media on the transmission, storage and use of knowledge.
- Students will distinguish between the informative and entertaining functions and the commercial and the public-service functions of media.
- Students will evaluate the impact of advertising and product placement on the content of media production.
- Students will evaluate the impact of media on social and political decision-making.
- Students will identify methods by which media texts manage personal identity of self and others.
- Students will review different concepts of the ownership of ideas and demonstrate their understanding of current copyright law and fair use guidelines.
- Students will recognize the names of the top three global media corporations and be able to discuss issues related to concentration of media ownership.
- Students will list and describe three examples of reputable "alternative" media sources.
- Students will discuss the starting and middle level jobs in at least three branches of the media.