The music program at COCC offers classes that increase understanding and skill. It serves as a stepping stone for students interested in a transfer degree as well as those who want to develop their talents as musicians and vocalists. It also plays a vital role in our local community. Maestro Michael Gesme is the conductor of the Central Oregon Symphony and Maestro James Knox conducts the Cascade Chorale as well as the College Choir and Central Singers Vocal Jazz Ensemble. Other performance groups include The Cascade Winds and Big Band Jazz. Whether you enjoy music as a performer or listener, the music program at COCC offers something for you.
View Music Course Descriptions
Music Program Student Learning Outcomes
The Music Department at Central Oregon Community College understands that it is neigh unto impossible to create a set of outcomes that effectively represents similar learning done by each student in such diverse course offerings as music theory, college choir, history of jazz and class piano. However, the following list represents the outcomes that we would expect for a student who takes multiple classes in music
- Students will demonstrate the ability to hear, identify, and work conceptually with the elements of music such as rhythm, melody, harmony, structure, timbre, texture.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of and the ability to read and realize musical notation.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural force.
- Students will demonstrate an acquaintance with a wide selection of musical literature, the principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively use the tools of scholarship, spoken and written language, research techniques, musical analysis, and applicable technologies.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to develop and defend musical judgments.