Overdue, Lost, or Damaged Item Fines and Fees
This information is for COCC students, faculty, and staff and Community Patrons. OSU-Cascades students, faculty and staff should consult the OSU Libraries' overdue policies.
The following late fees for overdue items apply:
- COCC or OSU print materials: 30 days past the initial due date, a replacement fee of $70 + $15 processing fee is assessed
- COCC or OSU audiovisual materials: 6 days past the initial due date, a replacement fee equal to the cost of the item plus a $15 processing fee is assessed
- Course Reserves and Projectors: $0.50/hour
- Summit and Interlibrary Loan items: $0.50/day for the first 10 days, $1.00/day for the next 15 days
- Laptops or Portable DVD Player: $5.00/hour
- Kindles, Cameras, and Tablet Computers (iPad or Xoom): $5.00/day
As a courtesy, an email is sent to your COCC email address reminding you of your library items' due dates. Regardless of whether or not your receive this email, you are responsible for returning any Library items and paying any fines.
Lost or Damaged Items
This information is for COCC students, faculty, and staff and Community Patrons. OSU-Cascades students, faculty and staff should consult the OSU Libraries' replacement charge policies.
The borrower assumes financial responsibility for any library items checked out on his or her account, including financial responsibility in the event an item is lost, stolen, or damaged. Regardless of whether payment has been made for an item, library items remain the property of the college. Materials cannot be purchased from the library. Any person who falsely claims to have lost materials simply to retain possession or who refuses to surrender a found item can be charged for illegally possessing state property.
If library items are damaged (especially by water), please return them immediately to the Circulation Desk so appropriate measures can be taken to salvage the item.
Long overdue items are considered lost and a replacement charge is assessed on your student account. Books are considered long overdue after 30 days. Audiovisual items (DVDs, VHS, etc.) are considered long overdue after 9 days.
- COCC books and other print items: $85.00 (includes processing fee)
- COCC DVDs/CDs/VHSs items: varies by item, cost of replacement + $15 processing fee
- OSU books: $85.00 (includes processing fee)
- OSU DVDs/CDs/VHSs: $165 (includes processing fee)
- Course Reserves: varies by item, cost of replacement + $15 processing fee
- Technology Equipment: varies by item, from $15 to $2,000 + processing fee
- Summit Items: $90.00 (includes processing fee)
- ILL items: $90.00 (includes processing fee)
- Study Room Keys: $12.50 (includes processing fee)
Charges for lost items returned within a year of the billing date are credited to your account. Overdue and processing fees still apply and vary depending on the item.
Paying Fines and Fees
COCC students and Community Patrons pay overdue fines and replacement fees at the cashier's office in the Boyle Education Center. OSU-Cascades students pay overdue fines at the Cascades Building main office or by mail.
Overdue fines or replacement fees result in a hold on your student account. A hold on your student account prevents you from registering for classes, obtaining transcripts, and graduating. Once a term, the college sends accounts with an outstanding balance of over $50 to the Oregon Department of Revenue for collection.
Loss of Library Borrowing Privileges
The Library temporarily revokes borrowing privileges for borrowers whose account balance exceeds $100. When the charges are resolved, borrowing privileges are reinstated.
Appealing Fines and Fees
You may appeal COCC library charges if you believe they have been mistakenly assessed or if extenuating circumstances may warrant reduction or cancellation of the charges. Appeals should be made via the Appeal of Library Charges Form and within 30 calendar days of the original billing.
The following reasons are not regarded as valid for canceling or reducing charges:
- Lack of knowledge of library policy
- Disagreement with the library fine or fee structure
- Inability to pay fines or fees
- Material loaned to a third party
- Non-receipt or late receipt of the library overdue notice
- Returning items to libraries other than the COCC library
- Being out of town
- Forgetting the due date
- Term breaks, illness, leaves, vacations, exams, car problems, etc.
- Item lost, stolen, or damaged while in your possession