Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
This acceptable use policy governs the use of computers and networks by all persons at Central Oregon Community College (COCC). As a user of these resources, you are responsible for reading and understanding this document. If you have questions, please contact Information Technology Services at 541-383-7400. Central Oregon Community College encourages the use and application of information technologies to support the research, instruction, and public service mission of the institution. COCC computers and networks provide access to resources on and off campus, as well as the ability to communicate with other users worldwide. Such open access is a privilege and requires that individual users act responsibly. Users must respect the rights of other users, respect the integrity of systems and related physical resources, and observe all relevant laws, regulations, and contractual obligations.
Terms and conditions of use:
- The primary purpose of electronic systems and communications resources is for College-related activities.
- Users do not own accounts on College computers, but are granted the privilege of exclusive use. Users may not share their accounts with others, and must keep account passwords confidential.
- Each account granted on a COCC system is the responsibility of the individual who applies for the account. Groups seeking accounts must select an individual with responsibility for group accounts.
- COCC cannot guarantee that messages or files are private or secure. COCC may monitor and record usage to enforce its policies and may use information gained in this way in disciplinary and criminal proceedings.
- Users must adhere strictly to software licensing agreements and copyright laws.
- When accessing remote systems from COCC systems, users are responsible for obeying the policies set forth herein as well as the policies of other organizations.
- Any violation of this policy or local, state, or federal laws may be referred to appropriate COCC offices and/or, as appropriate, law enforcement authorities.
- Misuses of COCC computing, networking, or information resources may result in the immediate loss of computing and/or network access, and may lead to further disciplinary action as well.
Conduct which violates this policy includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Unauthorized attempts to view and/or use another person’s accounts, computer files, programs, or data.
- Using COCC computers, accounts, and/or networks to gain unauthorized access to College systems or other systems.
- Attempting to degrade performance of COCC computers and/or networks.
- Attempting to deprive other users of COCC technology resources or access to systems/networks.
- Using COCC technology resources for commercial activity such as creating products or services for sale.
- Copying software protected by copyright, except as permitted by software licensing agreements.
- Using COCC computers and/or networks to send fraudulent or harassing messages.
- Using COCC computers and/or networks to create or access materials not related to the mission of the institution.
- Initiating or propagating electronic chain letters.
- Inappropriate mass mailings to newsgroups, mailing lists, or individuals, i.e. "spamming" or "flooding".
Unauthorized "broadcasting" of unsolicited mail or information using COCC computers and/or networks is prohibited.