Scholarship Information for Students
Foundation Scholarship Overview
Each year the COCC Foundation offers more than 250 awards totaling more than $750,000 for local students. A scholarship is easy to apply for and can be renewed for two additional years.
- COCC student enrolled in any program
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Enrolled in at least 6 credits per term
- Agreement to scholarship terms
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- In-district resident
12 + credits -- $3,400
6 -11 credits -- $1,698-3,113
Submit an application online through your Bobcat Web Account from December 15 through July 15 for scholarships for the following academic year.
To check the status of your current scholarship, please contact the Financial Aid office at 541-383-7260 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COCC Foundation Awards and Award Process
The COCC Foundation awards scholarships based on financial need and merit. Financial need is defined as lacking financial resources to where there are not sufficient funds to pay for education. Merit is defined as the circumstances a person has faced and/or contributions they have made, combined with their sense of direction.
Financial need is determined in two ways:
- Each student completes a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which is a federal process that determines how much, according to the formula, the student can pay for his or her education. This is known as their EFC (Estimated Family Contribution. An EFC of $0 means that a student has zero dollars they can contribute, and from this level up to approximately an EFC of $4,995, students can receive federal and state grants on a sliding scale. From $4,995 up to what is estimated to be the cost to attend COCC ($17,000 for tuition, books, lodging, food, etc.), students can receive loans
- Financial need is also determined through one of the questions answered in the application process, since the formula does not capture individual life circumstance
The award process then gives a point value to the FAFSA score (giving slightly more weight to those students who only qualify for loans) and also a point value to the narratives.
Each narrative is read three times by volunteers, who score each question on a one to four scale. The volunteers only read and score the answered questions since the narrative only has the student ID number. It is therefore transparent as to age, gender, race, etc. The questions:
- Leadership/Group Contributions:Leadership roles, personal accomplishments and/or dealing with adversity impact our lives in important ways. Describe your experiences and activities and how they have shaped you.
- Financial Challenges: COCC Foundation scholarships are based on financial need. Please explain any extraordinary financial challenges you are facing that make continuing your education difficult without additional financial assistance
- Goals/task commitment: Describe education and career goals that you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish them. Give an example that would demonstrate your commitment to these goals
Scholarships are awarded to students with the greatest combined score as determined by their FAFSA and their narratives.
- Enrolled in at least 6 credits per term
- If you been admitted to any other institution, including OSU Cascades, this scholarship is void
- Must write a thank you letter to the donor of your scholarship (we provide you with this information)
- Notify COCC if your phone number or address changes
- Please plan to be available in Spring, 2015 to help with Meal of the Year, Taste of the Town or another Foundation fund raising event. There are other events throughout the school year that you may be asked to help with
- Check your COCC email account on a regular basis for information from the College
Your scholarship can be renewed up to two additional years (three years total) if:
- You volunteer for at least one COCC Foundation function per year
- Maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA
- Complete a minimum of 26 credits during the academic year
- Register for a minimum of 6 credits in the fall term of your renewal year
You will NOT need to reapply for a COCC Foundation Scholarship next year. If you meet all the above parameters then you will automatically be qualified for a renewal scholarship and will receive a letter confirming your interest in early July for the following academic year.