Central Oregon Community College is proud to serve veterans and their dependents. The Veteran's Department is in the Boyle Education Center on the Bend campus. Walk-ins are welcome Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
To establish your benefits at COCC for the first time, please visit the Boyle Education Center and submit the following documents to the Veteran's Coordinator once you are registered in class:
- Copy of Certificate of Eligibility
- DD-214 (Member 4 copy)
- All official military and college transcripts
The COCC Veteran's Coordinator must certify you each term you are planning to enroll in classes at COCC if you want to use your VA education benefits. It can take up to 4 weeks to process your application.
If you are using Chapter 35 benefits (Dependent Educational Assistance), you may be eligible for the tuition waiver. Tuition waivers must be completed each aid year and submitted by the first Friday of the term.
To submit an online veteran certification request:
- Register for program eligible courses.
- Login to your
Bobcat Web Account.
- Select 'Student Services & Financial Aid' and then 'Financial Aid'.
- Click 'My Eligibility'.
- Choose 'Student Requirements' and select aid year.
- Click on 'Veterans Request for Certification' and complete the form.
Continuing students can also request certification in person by visiting the Boyle Education Center. If you change your degree or certificate program, you must request certification in person.
What Courses Can Be Certified?
- Short-term courses calculate differently than full term courses. If you wish to receive full time benefits, make sure you are enrolled in 12 credits for the entire term.
- Waitlisted courses cannot be certified until you are actually registered.
- Online courses less than 100 level cannot be certified.
In Addition to Veterans, Who Can Be Certified?
Dependents of . . .
- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Your completion rate must be at least 66.67% with a GPA of 2.0 or better, each term to quality for VA benefits.
The VA prohibits any program of study from being comprised
of more than 85% veterans or veteran dependents who are using VA Educational
Benefits. This is outlined in the Code
of Federal Regulations. COCC programs that have a high percentage of
veteran enrollment may be limited to new veteran students or their dependents
using VA Educational Benefits. For more information on this, please contact
COCC’s Veteran Benefits Coordinator at 541-383-7264 or email@example.com.
More Information on Applying for VA Educational Benefits