Success From The Start: Financial Aid Checklist
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for all federal and state aid including grants, loans and work-study. In addition, it is used by most states and schools to award nonfederal student financial aid.
The 2014-2015 FAFSA will be available online beginning January 1, 2014. This application is for the Summer 2014 through Spring 2015 terms.
Remember you must apply each year!
Filling out the FAFSA and applying for student financial aid is free. Be wary of mailings or websites that offer to submit your application for you or to find money for school if you pay them a fee. Generally any information or service you pay for can be offered for free from your school or the U.S. Department of Education.
ON YOUR MARK: Three Months Before You Start
Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online: www.fafsa.gov.
- For a list of documents needed to complete your FAFSA, go to www.fafsa.gov "Browse Help".
- COCC's Federal School Code: 003188
- PIN: Sign your FAFSA electronically with a PIN. Apply for a PIN by going to www.pin.ed.gov. If you are a dependent student, both you and a parent will need to apply for a PIN.
- FAFSA and PIN Helpline: 1.800.433.3243
- FAFSA Workshops: Attend a FAFSA workshop for assistance in completing your FAFSA. Workshop time and locations are posted on the COCC website at www.cocc.edu under Featured Events.
Return Requested Documents
- Forms can be downloaded from your COCC Bobcat Web Account.
- May take six to eight weeks to process so return documents as soon as possible.
- Select an eRefund option on your COCC Bobcat Web Account.
GET SET: One To Two Months Before You Start
Financial Aid Award and Disbursement
- Check your COCC Bobcat Web Account to verify that all financial aid requirements are complete.
- The Financial Aid Office will email an Award Status Notification listing your financial aid funds.
- Develop a budget, spending plan, review scholarships opportunities or loan information at SALT. Sign up now for a free account at www.saltmoney.org!
- All new student loan borrowers will need to complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at www.studentloans.gov.
GO: Three Weeks to Three Days Before You Start
- Bookstore Credit: If all your financial aid requirements have been satisfied, a bookstore credit may be issued approximately three weeks before the term begins.
- Financial aid is paid based on the number of credits you are enrolled in at 5 p.m. on the second Friday of the term.
- Please note that you must complete at least 2/3 (66.67%) of your classes with a 2.0 GPA (C average) to keep your federal funding. For more information, read COCC's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.
If your timeline does not match our recommended timeline, contact us for assistance!
firstname.lastname@example.org or 541.383.7260