Commencement vs Graduation
What is the difference between graduation and commencement?
Graduation is the awarding of a certificate or degree once a student has satisfied all certificate or degree requirements as verified by the Admissions & Records Office.
Commencement is the ceremony for students, family and friends to celebrate in the student’s academic accomplishments. Participation in the ceremony does not mean the student had graduated (or earned the certificate or degree) and students do not receive their diploma that day. Please be sure to RSVP for Commencement via the link in your Bobcat web account beginning April.
- If you are graduating in the current academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer), you are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. RSVP for Commencement via the link in your Bobcat web account beginning in April. All communication regarding the commencement ceremony will be sent to your COCC email account starting in April.
- COMMENCEMENT PROGRAM DEADLINE: MAY 12, 2015. You must RSVP for Commencement (via the link in your Bobcat web account beginning in April) to have your name appear in the commencement program
- Caps, gowns and announcements may be purchased at the COCC Bookstore mid-April.
- Diplomas are not available at the commencement ceremony but will be mailed within approximately 1-2 months after the end of the completion term. If you have a financial hold on your account, your diploma will not be mailed until you notify the Transcript and Degree evalution department the hold has been cleared.
- VETERANS: Remember that COCC will recognize graduating veterans by providing them a special red, white and blue cord for the commencement ceremony. Veterans may pick up their cord at the mandatory ceremony rehearsal on June 12th.
- HONORS: Graduates with honors will be presented their honor cords on the stage during the commencement ceremony. Student Honors and Dean’s list.
2014-2015 Commencement Ceremony Details
Date: Friday, June 12th 2015
Time: 3:30 PM
Location: Mazama Gym
Date: Saturday, June 13th 2015
Time: 10:00 AM
Location: COCC Campus – Mazama Field
No tickets needed for students and guests.
In advance of College events, persons needing accommodation or transportation because of a physical or mobility disability, contact Joe Viola: 541-383-7775. For accommodation because of other disability such as hearing impairment, contact Annie Jenkins: 541-383-7743.