COCC Quick Facts
FACTS AND FIGURES
||16,901 Total Students (2013-14)
10,565 credit and 6,839 non credit
|Average age of
|1 - 20 |
||The COCC District encompasses all of Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson Counties, as well as the southern part of Wasco (precinct 10) and northern portions of Klamath (precinct 1) and Lake (precincts 13 and 14) Counties.
View district map |
||120 full time, 51 adjunct and 164 part time
Approximately 38 percent of full-time faculty hold Ph.D. or terminal degrees
||In 2013-14, approximately 58 percent of certificate/degree seeking students received financial aid (depending on their enrollment status) via national program or COCC Foundation scholarships/loans |
|Additional Enrollment Information and Facts:
COCC Enrollment Reports
COCC Fact Book
HISTORY OF COCC
Central Oregon Community College was founded in 1949 as part of the Bend School District. It is the longest standing community college in Oregon. The College District was formed in 1959 and officially established as the Central Oregon Area Education District by a vote of residents in 1962.
In the spring of 1962, a 140-acre tract of land on the west side of Awbrey Butte was donated for the purposes of establishing COCC's main campus. Additional smaller purchases and donations increased the COCC Bend campus to a total of 202 acres that face a spectacular view of Oregon's Cascade mountain range. Construction began in 1963, and the first three buildings - Ochoco, Modoc and Deschutes - were completed by the spring of 1964. In 1965, Jefferson, Metolius and Grandview Student Union were constructed. Six additional buildings were opened in the next 10 years. The late 1980s and 1990s saw the addition of the Boyle Education Center, the Barber Library and Newberry Hall. Cascades Hall, which houses Oregon State University - Cascades, opened in the fall of 2001. In the last five years, COCC Bend has added the Coats Campus Center, the Jungers Culinary Center, and the Health Careers and Science Centers, bringing the Bend campus to 26 buildings. A new 330 bed residence hall will open in Fall 2015.
In addition, on the 25-acre Redmond Campus near the Redmond Airport, four buildings serve students with a variety of career programs and transfer eligible classes. The newest building, the Technology Education Center, opened in Fall 2014.
In 2011, COCC opened campuses in both Madras and Prineville, providing classes and services to residents of Jefferson and Crook Counties.
COCC opened new state-of-the-art Health Careers and Science Centers on the Bend Campus in 2012, including labs for programs in nursing, dental assisting, medical assisting, massage therapy, pharmacy technician, veterinary technician, biology, chemistry, geology and physics.
INFORMATION AT A GLANCE
Admission and Application Information
Certificate and Degree-Seeking Students
- Certificate or degree-seeking students need to apply for admission and pay the application fee, take a placement test, and attend new student advising (includes workshop and small group session with a faculty advisor) prior to registration.
How to Register
CAP Center Testing - The AccuPlacer placement test is required for all students taking credit classes.
Residency Policy - Information about In District, Out of District (in state) and Out of State.
Tuition and Fees for Credit Classes at COCC
- COCC has one on-campus residence hall. Applications are available at the Housing Office in Juniper Hall (541) 383-7593, or by visiting the
Residence life web page.
- The Office of Student Life maintains a list of available
- Located on the first floor of the Boyle Education Center, the Information office provides general COCC information, student IDs, parking passes and tickets for College events.
- Information Office is open Mon. - Thurs. from 7:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. (6 p.m. on Wednesdays) and Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Phone 541-383-7596
Oregon State University, OSU-Cascades
- Students are able to move seamlessly from COCC to OSU courses with the dual admission program.
COCC catalog for a list of current programs or visit
Student Activities and Services